Makes a 900g / 2lb Loaf
285g / 10oz Plain Flour
2 teaspoons Bicarbonate of Soda
a pinch of salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
225g / 8oz caster sugar
3 room temperature eggs
225g / 8oz butter, melted and cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
225g / 8oz Carrots, grated.
1. Heat the oven to 170 degrees C / 325 degrees F / Gas mark 3. Grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin and line the base with a piece of baking parchment.
2. Sift the flour, bicarboante of soda, salt and cinnamon together into a large mixing bowl, Add the sugar.
3. Whisk the eggs lightly with the butter and vanilla essence.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the egg and butter mixture and mix in carefully. Beat well and add the carrots. Mix thoroughly. Turn into the prepared tin.
5. Bake in the top of the oven for 1 and a half – 2 hours or until the top springs back when pressed lightly with a fingertip.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tim for 5 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
Variation : Carrot and Parsnip Loaf : Use 115g / 4oz grated parsnip in place of half the grated carrot.