Last night I thought that I would give Nigella Lawson’s Rapid Ragu recipe a go, this recipe is taken from her current series which is being aired on tv on monday nights called Nigella Express.
I already had the majority of the ingredients, all I needed to get was a packet of green lentils, which thankfully I managed to get the last packet from our local store.
It is relatively easy to make and the aroma that swirls around the kitchen is divine, I asked the troops once they had finished what they thought of it and to give it marks out of 10..
My other half gave it 5.5/10 – he didnt think it was that great.
Daughter 7/10 she quite enjoyed it
Son 9/10 he cleared his place (miracles never cease)!
and I scored it 6/10 – it was nice but very very filling and I couldnt finish all mine.
For anyone wishing to make it.. here is the recipe..
2 Tablespoons Garlic Oil
125g / 4.5 oz Cubed Pancetta
500g / 1lb 1.5oz Minced Lamb
75g / 2 3/4 oz Carmelised onions (from a jar) – I made my own the night before.
80ml / 2 3/4fl oz Marsala Wine
1 x 400g / 14oz Can Chopped Tomatoes
75g / 2 3/4 oz Green Lentils
125ml / 4 //2 fl oz Water
50g or 2oz Grated Red Leicester or Cheddar, to serve (optional)
1. heat the oil in a wide saucepan and fry the pancetta until beginning to turn crisp and golden-brown.
2. Add the minced lamb, breaking it up with a ford and stir until browned.
3. Add the carmelised onions, marsala, tomatoes, lentils and water and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 mins, stirring ocassionally.
5. To serve, divide the ragu between four serving bowls and sprinkle with grated cheese, if using.