I popped along to visit Nancy @ Bankhead Farm Shop to pick up my weekly vegetables. She had sweet potatoes this week so I bought some with a view to making some soup.
Once I got home I had a scan through my recipe books and found this one, its extracted from Best Kept Secrets of the Women’s Institute – isbn : 978-1-4165-2791-5
I have to admit it turned out very well indeed and everyone loved it.
Preparation & Cooking Time : 1 Hour
25g / 1oz Butter
1 Onion, Chopped
1 Garlic Clove, Chopped
1 Tablespoon Ground Coriander
450g / (1lb) Sweet Potato, Grated
2 Red Peppers, Chopped
700ml (1 1/4 Pints) Vegetable Stock
400g Can of Coconut Milk
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook over a low heat until soft.
- Stir in the ground coriander and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the sweet potato and red pepper to the pan and cook for 5 mins.
- Pour the vegetable stock over and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little and then puree
- Return to the rinsed out pan and add the coconut milk. Heat gently until piping hot and then serve at once.
Note: If coconut milk isnt available, use 100g of creamed coconut, chopped and increase the amount of stock by about 150ml.
Serve with freshly baked crusty bread and enjoy ….