I had excess tomatoes left over from last weeks trip to the farm shop, so I thought i’d make a nice spot of tomato soup.
6 Large Vine Tomatoes
6 Cloves of Garlic
A good glug of extra virgin Olive Oil.
A handful of shredded fresh basil leaves.
Some herbamare Salt and crushed black pepper to season.
- Take an oven proof dish and place the tomatoes into it.
- Scatter 6 cloves of garlic in amongst the tomatoes (leave the papery skins on)
- cover with a generous amount of olive oil
- slow bake in a medium oven for a couple of hours until the tomatoes are soft and the garlic is squidgey.
- Carefully take the skins off the tomato and garlic and put into a saucepan.
- Add enough water to cover and simmer
- Either add a vegetable stock cube / powder and seasonings & shredded basil, allow to cook through for 5 mins.
- Blitz to liquidise, pass through a sieve to remove seeds then return to the pan and add some double cream, heat through and stir it thoroughly,
- to serve you can add a switl of cream and some finely chopped basil leaves.
Serve immediately… serves 2 (big bowls) or 4 (Small bowls)