This is a chocolate loaf that I made last night after I received a call from my husband, with the news that he might be stranded in Norway due to the Norwegien Airport Strikes .. you can read about it here
When a crisis hits the household, my way of coping and thinking things through is ….I go into baking mode. I wonder how many other people do this?
Anyway, here is the recipe for the Chocolate Loaf – I made mine completely organic.
- 6oz Margarine
- 6oz Caster Sugar
- 6oz Self Raising Flour
- 2oz Cocoa Powder
- 4 Large Eggs
- a teaspoon Organic Vanilla Extract
- Turn on Oven to 180 degrees C
- Line a 2lb Loaf tin with greaseproof paper/baking Parchment
- Put Margarine and Caster Sugar into the mixer and mix until pale and fluffy.
- Aff the eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated.
- Add the Self Raising Flour & Mix in
- Add the Cocoa Powder and Mix
- Add the teaspoon of vanilla extract and mix in.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin
- Place into the Oven and bake for 50 mins (give it a check after 40) but mine needed 50
This is sooo much better than any shop bought cake, I know what went into it, I know I’m not filling my kids full of additives and preservatives…. but most of all its cheap to make and delicious to eat!
I was going to make a chocolate frosting for the top, but the kids couldnt wait and wanted a bit as soon as it was cool enough to handle and eat.