Here is the recipe…. Because we had more strawberries than raspberries, we only had enough rasps to make a small kilner jar of rasp jam.
I halved the quantities used below for the strawberry jam when making the rasp jam and only used the juice of a quarter of a lemon. Also a wee note, I used normal unrefined organic caster sugar that contained no pectin and got a good set.
Recipe for Scottish Strawberry Jam
770g Locally grown Scottish Strawberries
770g Organic Caster Sugar
Juice of Half a Lemon
- Wash the fruit if necessary and drain well.
- Put into a preserving/jam pan.
- Simmer until some juice has been extracted.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice, stirring until it has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 5-10 minutes until the jam sets when tested.
- Remove the scum and leave to cool slightly so that the fruit will not rise in the jars.
- Pot and seal while still warm.
Makes enough for a large kilner jar
My mouth has been watering whilst making the jam this afternoon, and once I have cleared up the aftermath in the kitchen, I’ll make some freshly baked scones, just to make sure my jam tastes ok 🙂