I made this cake yesterday, we had friends round for a spot of supper and this yummy cake and a nice pot of tea finished the evening off.
It is really easy to make…
For the Sponge:
- 6oz Butter or Margarine
- 6oz Caster Sugar
- 6oz Self Raising Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
Method: ( I use my kitchenaid to mix mine)
- Cream the sugar and butter together until pale and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time until well combined
- Add the flour gradually and give it a good mix
- Beat in the teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Take a 7-8in round sandwich tin and spoon in the mixture
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for 35 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins then turn out to cool firther on a wire rack to cool completely.
Once the sponge has cooled completely slice the sponge in half to make 2 sponges, a top and bottom.
I used my homemade strawberry jam, and spread a layer evenly over the bottom half of the cut sponge cake, place the lid back on top.
Take a carton of double cream and beat until a nice smooth thick consistency is reached.
Spread the cream over the top of the sponge cake with a pallet knife.
Take a punnet of fresh strawberries remove the husk and slice each strawberry in half, cover the top of the cream covered cake in the strawberry halves.
Just before serving put a teaspoon of icing sugar into a fine sieve and dust the icing sugar lightly over the cake.
Then Enjoy 🙂