Chorizo and Chicken Casserole
Chunky pieces of chicken cooked slowly in a rich tomato sauce, spiked with fiery chorizo. The hotter the better, served with buttery cheesy mash… yum.
4 Chicken breasts, skin removed
500 g fresh, hot chorizo
2 – 3 slices smoked bacon, rind removed and finely sliced
Half a bottle of red wine
2 onions, finely diced
2 carrots, finely diced
250 g of small baby onions, peeled
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 large can of chopped tomatoes
Pinch of thyme and oregano
- Use a large, oven proof casserole (with lid)
- Fry the onions and carrot in olive oil, after a few minutes add the bacon and soften for 5 minutes
- Remove the vegetables/bacon and turn the heat up
- Add the chorizo and chicken and brown (do this in batches so that the bottom of the pan is not covered)
- You may want to drain excess oil from the chorizo
- Return the vegetables/bacon and add the wine, simmer vigorously for a few minutes
- Add the peeled baby onions, tomato puree, tomatoes and herbs
- Bring to a simmer, put the lid on and cook in a low oven for 1 hour
- Check seasoning (may not need any as the sausage will season for you). If needed add a pinch of paprika for more smoky heat.
- Serve with buttery cheesy mash.