Yay! I actually made something different today that doesnt resemble a Muffin or a fairy cake lol…
- 90g / 3oz / 1/3rd Cup Unsalted Butter
- 90g / 3oz/ 1/2 Cup Soft Brown Sugar
- 90g/ 3oz/ 1/4 Cup Golden Syrup
- 60g/ 2oz/ 2 tablespoons black treacle
- 250g / 8oz / 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C 350 degrees F Gas 4
- Butter 2 baking sheets (I used 2 sheets of baking paper instead)
- Put butter, sugar, syrup and treacle into a saucepan, stir over a gentle heat until melted.
- Cool slightly
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and spice into a bowl, make a well in the centre, then pour in the syrup mixture
- Mix well to form a soft dough
- Weigh dough into 15g (1/2oz) pieces, or divide into walnut sized pieces.
- Roll pieces into smooth balls, place on baking sheets, spacing well apart, flatten each ball to form a neat round.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until very lightly browned.
- Remove the buscuits from the oven, allow to cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheets, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely, as the biscuits cool they will become very crips.
Makes approx 30
Recipe courtely of “The Book of Biscuits” by Pat Alburey – ISBN 0-86101-282-8