I picked up a Mango at the reduced counter at my local supermarket for 20p, looked through my cookery books and found this recipe… tastes lovely with butter and homemade jam 🙂
Makes 1 x 2lb loaf
- 10 oz (285g) Plain Flour
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- half a teaspoon of salt
- 4oz (115g) Margarine, at room temperature
- 3 Eggs, at room temperature
- 10 1/2 oz (300g) Sugar
- 4fl oz (125ml) vegetable oil
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and chopped
- 3 1/4 oz (90g) desicated coconut
- 2 1/2 oz (70g) raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 180 degrees C / Gas 4 and Line the bottom and sides of a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt.. Set aside
- With an elextric mixer, cream the margarine until soft
- Beat in the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the oil.
- Fold in the dry ingredients into the creamed ingredients in 3 batches.
- Fold in the mangie, two thirds of the coconut and the raisins
- Spoon the batter into the loaf tin.
- Sprinkle over the remaining coconut, Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, after 50-60 minutes. Let it stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
Just wanted to add a wee warning….. I checked my loaf after 50 minutes because it was smelling like it was ready, when I did it was still gooey in the centre, so I closed the oven door and gave it another 10 minutes.
After 10 mins I went to get it out, and found that centre of the loaf had sunk, because I skewered it… Don’t skewer test it until after 60 mins 🙂
Recipe courtesy of “Muffins and Quickbreads” by Linda Fraser – ISBN 1-84309-585-8