I had some lemons in the fridge that needed to get used up, so I had a browse through some recipe books and found this recipe from Nigella Lawson.
It is from her Book How to be a Domestic Goddess – isbn 0-701-16888-9
- 240g Softened unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 large eggs
- 210g self-raising flour
- 90g plain flour
- 1 x 2lb loaf tin
- 2 Tablespoons of Poppy Seeds
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C / Gas Mark 3
- Cream the butter and sugar, and add the lemon zest
- Add the eggs one at a time with a tablespoon of the flour for each.
- Then gently mix in the rest of the flour and finally, the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar (about 2 tablespoons should do it) as it goes into the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove to a wire rack, and let cool in the tin before turning out.
- Makes 8-10 slices.
I got distracted… and as a result I forgot to put the poppy seeds in 😀