- 450g (1lb) Rhubarb, shorn of leaves, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm (1in) lengths
- 450g (1lb) cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 150g (5oz) light muscavado sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
For the crumble :
- 60g (2oz) rolled oats
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 110g (4oz) unsalted butter
- 110g (4oz) demerara sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C, 400 Degrees F, Gas 6
- To make the crumble topping, mix the oats and flour, and rub in the butter until you have a pile of small crumble. Stir in the sugar.
- Mix the rhubarb and apples in a pie dish and dredge with the light muscavado sugar, then sprinkle with sinnamon.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly and thickly over the top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or a little longer if necessary, until the top is golden brown, with the juice bubbling up a little round the sides.
- Serve hot or warm with cream or custard or even some gorgeous white chocolate ice cream to melt and ooze into the hot juices.
Recipe courtesy of Sophie Grigsons Country Kitchen – ISBN 0-7553-1054-3