I was looking at Carrot Cake recipes this morning amongst the books in my bookcase, then had a browse around online and finally decided to make this one as I really fancied the recipe, plus I had all the ingredients 🙂
The recipe is from the website http://www.cakebaker.co.uk and the link to the acutal recipe is here http://www.cakebaker.co.uk/MakingThePerfectCarrotCake.html
The cake is in the oven as I type this and has about 45 mins left to bake, once its all done and dusted I’ll post a picture
The Perfect Carrot Cake
Ingredients for the cake
- 12½ oz carrots
- 2 oz pecans
- 4 oz self-raising wholemeal flour
- 4 oz plain wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 8 fl oz vegetable oil
- 6 oz soft brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
Ingredients for the topping
- 7 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz softened unsalted butter
- 2 oz sifted icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essenceThese quantities make a 9” round cake / 1 x 2lb Loaf Tin
- Start off by grating 12½ oz carrots and chopping 2 oz pecans. Put to one side.
- Sieve together 4 oz self-raising flour and 4 oz plain flour (both wholemeal) with 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, ½ teaspoon nutmeg and 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda. (Tip the bran bits left in the sieve into the mixture.)
- Whisk together 8 fl oz vegetable oil, 6 oz soft brown sugar, 4 eggs and 2 tablespoons’ golden syrup. (Heat the spoon first and the syrup will slide off easily.)
- Add this to the dry ingredients and mix until it’s nice and smooth. Stir in the carrots and pecans.
- Tip the mixture into a greased lined tin and cook at 160oC for an hour, or until cooked.
- For the topping, mix 7 oz cream cheese, 2 oz softened unsalted butter, 2 oz sifted icing sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, until smooth.
- Allow the cake to cool and then add the topping
This cake will keep for a few days in an airtight container. That is, if you can resist it that long!